Choosing Your Tires
When you're buying new tires, our Goodyear professionals can help you to find the right size tire for your vehicle. Explore the tire size explanations below, and contact us with questions around the tire size meanings. If you're ready to purchase tires, use your tire size to find and buy online.
Do you ever wonder where you can find your tire size? It's in more locations than just your tire's sidewall. Watch the video to find out more, plus learn how you can use that tire size to easily purchase tires online today.
The numbers and letters representing your tire size do have meaning. Learn how to read a tire sidewall and find what the numbers on a tire mean using the detail below.
1. Metric or Tire Type. The metric, or tire type, defines the proper use of the tire. For example, a "P" designation means that it is a passenger car tire. An "LT" designation is for a light truck. No letter before the width indicates that it is a European metric tire.
2. Tire Width. The width of the tire measured in mm from sidewall to sidewall. This tire width is 215 mm.
3. Aspect Ratio. The aspect ratio is the ratio of the height of the tire's cross-section to its width. On our example, 60 means that the height is equal to 60% of the tire's width.
4. Construction. The construction letter tells you how the layers of the tire were put together. "R" stands for radial, which means the layers run radially across the tire. "B" stands for bias construction, which means that the layers run diagonally across the tire.
5. Rim Diameter. The rim diameter is the width in inches or cm of the wheel from one end to the other. The diameter of this wheel is 16 in. Always replace a tire on a rim with another tire of exactly the same rim diameter designation and suffix letters.
6. Load Index. The load index is an assigned number that corresponds with the load-carrying capacity of a tire. Most passenger car tire load indexes range from 75 to 100, but a few carry more. You'll also find the maximum load elsewhere on the tire sidewall, both in lbs. and kg. Learn more about tire load index.
7. Speed Rating. The speed rating tells you the maximum service speed for a tire. A speed rating isn't, however, a recommendation to exceed speed limits, and doesn't indicate how well a tire handles or corners. Learn more about tire speed rating.
If your tire size looks more like 35x12.50R17LT from the above, you likely have a high-flotation tire. Goodyear also carries these tire sizes. Use our Tire Finder to find the right tires for your application.
Don’t know your tire size, or can’t read the numbers on your sidewall? Not to worry. Our Tire Finder can help. Simply filter BY VEHICLE to browse by year, make, model, and version of your vehicle.